Sunday, March 14, 2010
In which I go a bit ranty ...
I am not Generation Y.
I don’t have a Blackberry, or an IPhone. I have never worn high waisted jeans, leggings without anything on top, harem pants, or anything Lady Gaga might wear.
I don’t really know who Lady Gaga is. Or what her purpose is. I’m not sure she has one.
I Tweet, but I only Tweet with people who Write.
I hate Facebook.
I don’t get Myspace.
My friends are people I would die for, not people I would “poke”.
My life goal is not to be famous and buy a yacht. It is to be loved and buy some goats.
I don’t own bling.
I don’t have a dangly thing on my phone.
I don’t understand “random”. I laugh out loud all the time, but I have never ROFLMAO-ed (evidence – my “arse” is, currently, where it has always been, and not on the floor).
I get that, if people don’t put an emoticon in an email, it doesn’t necessarily mean they hate me.
Just because I do something does not mean I need to join a Facebook group about it.
I still want to be friends with people who don’t social network.
Doesn’t mean I hate people who do. Some of my best friends are as Y as they come.
But me?
I’m Gen Possum Magic; Gen Hairy Maclary; Gen There’s A Hippopotamus on My Roof Eating Cake; Gen Miffy; Gen Ramona; Gen Spot; Gen Butterfly’s Ball; Gen Anthony Browne; Gen Graeme Base; Gen Emily Rodda; even Gen Babysitter’s Club.
Later, I was Gen Garth Nix; Gen James Moloney; Gen Shaun Tan; Gen Tamora Pierce; Gen Isobelle Carmody; Gen Judy Blume; Gen Maureen McCarthy; Gen Melina Marchetta; Gen Terry Pratchett.
That’s the stuff I remember. That’s the stuff that lines my bookshelves in my tiny (non-McMansiony), townhouse. That’s what make me who I am. It might not be a one-letter catch-all, and it may not have functions and features and “applications” but, dammit, neither do human beings.

2 comments:
That's okay, I'm not entirely fond of myspace either.
I think Lady Gaga's perpose is to be...Lady Gaga. Food for thought.
I'm sure you're probably right, Mr Wilbanks! I think it's my age and general lack of Geny-iality that are making me miss the point! I'm sure my Nan thought the same about the Beatles - "pointless men with silly haircuts" :o)
Post a Comment