Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In which I met Melina Marchetta




So! Yesterday was Melina Marchetta day at the booky nook! 

Let me say that again: Yesterday was MELINA MARCHETTA day at the booky nook!!!

There, can you feel my excitement now? 

I was excited (that was for those of you who couldn't feel my excitement). I have been reading Melina since I was knee-high to a grasshopper (I am now elbow-high. It's a much better view from up here), and also since I thought you pronounced her name with a "ch" as in "chickety-china-the-chinese-chicken", when it's actually pronounced "ck" as in "karma-karma-karma-karma-karma-CHameleon".

I know. Everybody already knew that. But I am from Wynyard, Tasmania. We don't know much stuff down here.

But I digress.

Melina came. She was lovely - softly-spoken and very, very pretty and she had on the BEST SHIRT EVER.

I had to introduce her and I was a tad nervous, but I think I may have just pulled it off. Hurrah!

Then, Melina talked. Melina talking was much more interesting than me talking (note to self: become interesting before book launches). She talked for about half an hour about her new book, The Piper's Son -  which, is, just by-the-by, so complex and poignant and raw and real and incredible - and the books the preceded it.

Then, she answered questions about teaching (never again - the marking, THE MARKING), and whether there will ever be a sequel to "Alibrandi" (probably not).

Then, she answered questions about her writing. I was secretly hoping that somebody would ask her questions about her writing. I wanted to know (and, possibly, STEAL), her secrets.

Refreshingly, she didn't claim that her writing was a magical, mystical process, whereby she dreamed the plots to her books and woke up to find them all magically typed out for her by some whimsical writer sprite, who also left a cup of steaming coffee and a bagel for her to eat while she edited.

Instead, she actually admitted that there is a FORMULA, and that she PLANS AND PLOTS AND MAKES MANY, MANY NOTES BEFORE SHE STARTS WRITING, and that SOMETIMES SHE STEALS IDEAS.

This is why I love Melina. Not only is she supremely talented, she is also honest, humble and giving.

One day, even if I only get the last three qualities, I want to be a lot more like Melina Marchetta.

I also want her shirt.

5 comments:

Adele said...

Okay I am jealous...I also didn't know how to say her name properly until a few years back OR that you say Alibrandi a different way until the movie came out. Thanks for sharing!

Miss Cackle said...

I have a tiny confession - I MAY have looked at the video you did when you were excited about getting The Piper's Son as confirmation I had the right pronunciation. Had a major "Thank you, Adele" moment :o)

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

It's always so fab when you meet writers you admire and they live up to their books. It doesn't happen often so it's great when it does! xx

Emily said...

I didn't know that's how her name was pronounced! And I am a fan of hers from way back!

Loved this, funny and insightful :)

Miss Cackle said...

Thank you and thank you! It was a wonderful event & she more than lived up to the mental impression I had of her.

Post a Comment